Saturday 6 August 2011

The Chimney Sweep

My cottage dates back to the 1500's and is still  primitive in some ways. I have an open fire in my sitting room so, preparing for next winter I got the Chimney Sweep to call.

My daughter and my grandsons were visiting so it was a new experience for these 'modern' boys.
 We waited in anticipation for the brush to appear out of the top of the chimney and when it finally poked through, along with tradition, we all made a wish.

Can't tell you what I wished for or it won't come true!!!!

On one of our days out we visited Coldharbour Mill which is near my home, It is a working museum showing how wool was spun into yarn and then woven into fabric. We learnt alot from the very knowledgeable volunteers who work the old machines.

Upstair is an exhibition shows rooms from the Second World War era. Having being born shortly after the end of the war it was nostalgic for me as my home as a child was very similar.

In one of the other rooms, set out as a small operations room was this blackboard. September the 19th is my grandsons birthday.
 Finally, I loved this little girl with her gas mask.
Her face says it all!!

Have a great weekend,
xox Angela.

2 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

How very interesting! I have certainly heard of chimney sweeps but never about the making a wish part. That museum looks like a great place to visit and your cottage sounds absolutely delightful. Hope your day is great. Tammy

preciouscurtis said...

I must agree with you about this chimney service. We all dream to have a good chimney knowing when we were kids we waited patiently for a chubby name called Santa Claus. So funny to remember!