Sunday 25 April 2010

Indian Embroidery

I promised to tell you about the workshop with Surjeet Hussain. I belong to the Embroiderers Guild we meet once a month and the meetings are very inspiring.



It's nice to get together with like minded people. just like blogging eh!





This was a two day workshop covering 'Sheesha', 'Kantha' and 'Pulkari'




Surjeet was the most inspiring teacher. She combined stories of her life in India to give us an insight into the geography, history and culture of her country.


We all felt that life would not be complete without visiting this amazing place.



We spent the first day applying 'Sheesha' mirrors to fabric. Let me tell you it is quite fiddly and Surjeet made it look so easy!



Finally I managed, and as she said 'the penny needs to drop'.



The rest of the time we worked on Kantha And Pulkari. I'll show you some of that another time.

I so wanted to play with the mirrors using some cream dupion silk and matching threads.

I've had some little notebooks for a while waiting to have a nice cover made, so heres what I did.

I had a lovely couple of hours stitching and thought it was pretty enough to keep your secrets in so you'll find it in my Folksy shop.

























2 comments:

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Hi Angela, It sounds like you had a great workshop! Your notebook cover turned out beautiful!
Have a wonderful and sunny week!
Hugs,
Julia

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Wow! What a fabulous workshop. I love your little notebook cover. My husband lived in India and Pakistan when he was much younger. We still plan to visit there someday. I can get many Indian textiles here but would still love to visit the country. I also love all your little fabric collages and your altered bottles. Just curious what kind of glue you use when you make them all? I would so love to try some but never know if I should use craft glue or a glue gun to make them permanent. Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday! :) Tammy